Friday, March 25, 2016

Week 6!

Hi everyone and welcome to week 6 of SRP!


This week I spent more of my time with Dr. Silva interpreting images as opposed to sitting with the MR techs and watching the images being produced like I have been the last few weeks. I started of this week in the reading room watching the doctors go through scans and recording their observations about them. I was with them for about an hour before I realized they were interpreting CT scans and not MRI scans. CT’s are different from MRI’s because they take about a minute to scan the patient whereas MRI’s take around 30-45 minutes. Not only are they faster but they are much cheaper and more comfortable for the patient. However, CT scans are mostly useful for bone injuries while MRI’s are useful for soft tissue evaluation such as ligament and tendon injuries, brain tumors, and, pertinent to my project, prostate cancer.


In the CT scans I saw the doctors diagnosing, they were looking specifically for kidney stones. The stones appeared bright white on the scans since calcium shows up white. This is also why bone is very white in the CT scan below.  


The tiny white circle indicates the kidney stone and many times the stones are so small they are not detected by the doctors.


After spending some time interpreting the CT scans, I moved on to researching more about the prostate itself since the answer to my research question is backed up with evidence regarding the prostate and prostate cancer. I learned that there are two main parts to the prostate that shows up on MR scans.




The central gland and peripheral zone are the two parts that are examined to see whether or not the patients has prostate cancer. As suggested by the name, the peripheral zone surrounds the central gland and is seen as bright white on the picture above. The cancer is mostly in the peripheral zone which is why the zone is so enlarged in the picture. On a cancer-free patient, a prostate MRI would look like in the image below.




Dr. Silva taught me that the appearance of the peripheral zone and central gland on certain MRI series and the brightness or darkness of certain areas is a big indicator of whether or the patient has cancer. However, sometimes there are false positives and in the case of false positives, doctors must rely on some scans more than other. I will go into this more next week and I hope to see you then!

12 comments:

  1. Wow! This was extremely informative! The scans and explanations were a great help in understanding what the doctors are looking for. I can't wait to see what you share next week. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is getting more interesting every week! What differences would a cancerous prostate MRI present from a cancer-free prostate MRI?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is really cool! What are the differences that show up in an MRI when there a varying sizes of kidney stones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sizes of the white dots that indicate kidney stones vary! Many times there are stones not necessarily in the kidneys.

      Delete
  4. As I was getting my MRI last Friday, I kept thinking about your project! I believe I was in a 1.5T machine. I can also understand why there are so many partial MRI's. It was incredibly difficult to stay still for such a long time!

    With all the helpful information you are getting from your internship, how do you hope to use what you have learned to answer your research question?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sparshee!! How are you? It's interesting how the peripheral zone on the cancerous patient is also more dense than the peripheral zone on the cancer-free patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George!!I'm great but I thought we would be bumping into each other more since we're both at Mayo! How's your research going?

      Delete
  6. It sounds like your learning a lot! I recently found out I will need an MRI too, and out of curiosity, I looked up what an MRI machine would look like. It's definitely a lot smaller than I initially imagined, I can understand how some people can't sit through an MRI scan. Has this project had an impact on your career choice, do you think radiology might be something your interested in?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like MRI's can detect lots of different anomalies in the body, from kidney stones to cancer. What do these things have in common that allow them to be picked up on the MRI?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are urgently in need of kidney donors in Kokilaben Hospital India for the sum of $450,000,00,For more info
    Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +91 7795833215

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very good post .Thanks for letting us know some good tips .
    I like your many articles it will help not only me and also many
    CSUF Information

    ReplyDelete